Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A "D-" in Parenting

I'm struggling trying to figure out how to balance going to school with taking care of a baby. He starts daycare tomorrow and will be going 2 days a week. Am I a mother that is tearfully dreading leaving him in a strange place with strange people watching him? NOPE. My mother-in-law is pretty worried I think, and has said things like, "but will they rock him and hold him while he naps?" Heartless as it may sound, I'm glad to get a break. No sooner has he learned how to crawl, but now he wants to stand up all the time too. I'm thinking he'll be walking by 9 months at this rate (he's about 7 1/2 now).

I'm thinking I'd give myself a D- on parenting today. I gave him his first bottle this morning about 7, and after he finished it, I put it in the sink. I realized an hour later as I was putting away dishes, that the nipples I thought were clean, where I had gotten the one to make the earlier bottle, were in fact, dirty. Good thing I'm so careful about washing my hands before I make his food, when I can't even use clean dishes. They just let anyone have babies these days don't they?

We've been pretty proud of his self-feeding skills with his little Gerber peach puffs, but now today, he has tried to eat a plant and a handful of cat food. Although I haven't seen crunchy cat food on the "list of foods not to feed your baby because of choking hazards," I'm pretty sure it was implied. He struggles to get one peach puff in his mouth, but somehow zeros in on the bowl of cat food a room away, crawls in there and manages to get 4 pieces in his mouth before I can stop him. I don't know how he does it... it's like he's part ninja... very stealthy.

Don't get me wrong, I love being home with him! It's just getting harder now that I have outside responsibilities too, like school and the new job, and that he's mobile. I'm only taking one class, and working about 25 hours a week. I have to say, I'm a little worried that I'm struggling with time management so much now, and I haven't even applied to the actual nursing program yet. If I do get in, I'm not sure how I'll manage those classes. Argh, I don't know how other people do it.

No comments: