Tuesday, May 29, 2007

2 weeks into class...

Well, I'm 2 weeks into my CNA class now. My schedule got a little messed up because my instructor became ill before the class started, and they encouraged us to either be absorbed into another class, or drop the class altogether. So now, instead of going to school M-F 1-4:45, I go MW 8:30-4:45 and F 8:30-12. It makes for long days on Mondays and Wednesdays, but from 1-4:45 I'm in clinicals at a local nursing home, so that goes fast.

I haven't done anything hands on with actual patients yet, but that could be coming on Wednesday. I guess I am a little nervous about it all, but I'm trying to pay close attention in class and participate in labs and do my best. So far, we've just been practicing skills on each other, ie. bathing, toothbrushing, taking vitals, etc. Don't worry, we just bathed each other's arms, legs, and faces. We practiced "Perineal" bathing (or washing "hoo-has or bajingos" as Eliot on Scrubs would say) on anatomically correct mannequins rather than each other (thank God... we've started to become somewhat close, but not THAT close).

I've got a test tomorrow on nearly half the book. I'm having trouble studying for it, because when I take the quizzes at the end of the chapter, or work in the workbook, I get really confused by the questions. I think I'm thinking too hard. For example: A __________ is a sudden catastophic event in which many people are injured or killed, and property is destroyed. I racked my brain trying to remember reading this in the book, then realized, the answer is "disaster." So do I go to the trouble of memorizing the vocabulary word "disaster" or can I just assume I know what a disaster is? __________ occurs when electrical current passes through the body. Did you guess "electrical shock?" I didn't, I'm definitely thinking too hard.

I'm not saying my class is easy, although some of it really is. I don't think the "theory" portion is difficult, I guess it's more about being prepared to actually take care of people. I guess I can tell you that as a CNA you're expected to shower daily (yes, there was an entire chapter on "workplace ethics" that told you how to be a good employee with good hygiene), but can I take care of another adult who is completely dependent on me? That's the hard part.

Still waiting on the cell phone job. They're saying now that they want to put me at the kiosk in the mall because it would be best for my availability, but I don't know what's going on. I'm just constantly waiting for their call. I'm still hoping I get it, but I'm getting more and more doubtful. Why won't anyone hire me? I shower daily! After I get my test out of the way, I'm back on the hard core job hunt.

No comments: